Wednesday, October 29

dreaming of Queen K

In these times..You can't get away from..

Economic meltdown...

If I had a penny for each time I heard the term 'credit crunch', I would be retired now. Sunning on a beach somewhere in Corfu, drinking a Margarita, with a view of a 50ft yacht called Queen K....privy to deals being brokered and laws being made.

It's a curious time, and even more curious how we've gotten to this point. Who's going to help us understand it..anyone? How about those guys still enjoying their lurvly bonuses from last year..(I have no gripes with them and bonuses if the risks they took were careful, well informed ones i.e they did their job properly)

Bank of England deputy governor Charlie Bean 'warns that worst financial crisis in human history' is indeed imminent...the pound continues to play up-today-down-tomorrow.

Transport costs are rising..food and retail prices are increasing..commodities increasing. You can bet after the Iceland fiasco councils will be increasing taxes. Although oil per barrel has fallen by nearly half since it's peak this summer..this isn't being reflected in energy prices, and motorists are only seeing small changes, very slowly, at the gas pumps. There's still talk of fuel poverty for this winter..and I for one am braving it with no heating..

Talk about adding insult to injury...BP has announced profits of 148%. You have to wonder when figures like these are released in times like these.

Of course we can always rely on Opec to regulate matters for us..they will cut production, inevitably increasing per barrel price again...next year already sounds like a riot.

We all know the havoc being reeked in the housing market. Banks are barely lending to each other- Libor rates aren't going anywhere fast- and so it's no great surprise that they aren't in a hurry to lend to the public. Although interest rates have dropped, it isn't yet reflected in mortgage offers.
In any event all predictions lean towards Bank of England lowering interest rates drastically, and sooner rather than later..to make debt cheaper and encourage spending.

Not even venturing into bank bail outs and what that means for future interest rates/pensions/salaries/anything to do with the next generation of workers (that's myself and fellow classmates).

I can't get rid of the feeling that alot of this is self fulfilling. We hear it enough that we're entering a recession..people are terrified and cut spending. Stocks markets, already nervous become more cautious. Everything crashes..we enter recession. Red Indian story (I'll post later)...perfect illustration


Word for the month..and rest of the year R-E-C-E-S-S-I-O-N.

-------





'Yes We can'...

A Presidential election as never seen before...(to be honest, it's the first time I've partly followed one). This election reflects the times we live in very well I think. The media is being used to a new advantage, the age of celebrity is real and alive on the footsteps of the White House. Drama has never been more real in the US.

America is ready for a change. I think many people will be heading to polls to vote, not for Obama, but against a republican government, fronted by a half wit- with daddy pulling the strings, which has been in the White House for too long. They will vote against a prolonged war, and against the current economic turmoil.

Obama seems to shine. And with what appears to be an ordained (by whom I can't say) campaign, he is certain he will win.

Mc Cain on the other hand...

Is it me or does he look like he's going down the senile route, and falling apart while doing it (yeah, I know I'm late in this observation). The poor bugger and his faulty arm, faulty cheek, faulty skin...damn. Not much going for him.







Yup..I'm a bit confused as well. Does he agree..or disagree..oh both? hmm.

Him and his trigger-happy-just-a-soccer-mom vice president Palin. Gotta love em.



I think a 'leave Britney alone' style video defending these two would be wicked. Then we can bunch them up..along with Paris and really jazz up the White House.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP