the curls got me
I'm on a budget..the tightest one possible - The Student Budget.
You know..the kind that lets you know you're broke, but then everyone else thinks you're the richest around. I don't know..i've heard it said many times before..'students are the richest around'...maybe just a phrase where I grew up?
While walking through the mall a few days ago..I was stopped by a girl working at a kiosk..I swear, I never ever stop at kiosks..those ubiquitous ones that look like they sprung up overnight, and might disappear just as quickly..with dodgy looking sales reps..hmm
What caught my attention was her hair.. the curls were very similar to mine, but longer..much much longer.. like how my hair might have been if I would only stop chopping it. She must have seen my slight look of interest as I tried to rush past, my eyes suddenly downcast.
These girls are good.
She picked up on my vulnerability immediately. And by vulnerability, any curly haired girl would know what I mean...I'm going through that phase these days.. You know.. the one where I can't figure out what my hair wants..
So she drew me in..with the hair..she said, I promise you, you will thank me. Sat me down..did a demonstration. In five minutes, my normally stubborn curls were perfectly defined, bouncy..just perfect. I was sold.
I knew I couldn't afford it. I knew that I should be saving that money for a new winter coat... or for those new boots I don't need, but want..
I bought my new hair curler, alot more expensive than I should have..to define my natural curls..beautiful as they may be..they could do with some coaxing on stubborn days..
Less than two hours later..I realised my mistake..oh the shame of it.. and the scam! My 'curls' were now ironed, faux maybe-curls-maybe-straight, gone with the wind, now completely unsure of what they were meant to be.
I headed straight back to the counter, with my hair now in a bun...it was that bad.
I was refused a refund. Can you believe it.
My broke, student status..suddenly more dire than it seemed while I was happy with my purchase...was now a matter of survive or starve (I can be that dramatic)..
Anyway..it didn't play out as a return normally would with little fuss, no stress. I'm in a limbo right now..speaking with a US company who sells the product, because the kiosk where I bought it assures me that's who I need to contact...and UK consumer affairs people, informing me of my rights in this matter.. because at the moment, they're all denying responsibility for refunding me..
How do I end up in these messes..
I'll tell you..impromptu purchases..not sticking to the well planned student budget...or in this case stopping at a dodgy fly-by-night kiosk
0 comments:
Post a Comment